Friday, March 19, 2010

Still working on it

Don't worry, this is not a post to tell you that I'm about to drop another book out of boredom. On the contrary. I am loving Women in Love. I'd tell you what page I'm on, but this particular e-book version doesn't have page numbers. I've just reached chapter fourteen, and it's looking like one of the Brangwen sisters has finally connected with her love interest.

This is a really lovely book, and I'm cherishing every moment I'm spending with it. I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad thing, but it seems that we are being shown everything, every little detail about a character is shown through their actions, or echoed in their thoughts and lines. It gets meticulous every once in a while, but for the most part, it does what fiction ought to do, which is create action, and through that action create tension. I believe that D.H. Lawrence does just that, and that's what makes him one of the masters, in my humble opinion.

I'd like to add that up until recently, I have been a generally fast reader, mainly because I had the luxury of being able to sit and ignore everything for a whole day, for instance, and just read. I can't do that anymore, so I can only read a little bit at a time, and some days I don't even read at all. It makes me sad, but that's life, I guess.

Well, that's it for now from me. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment