Friday, March 5, 2010

A bad case of "I'm gonna have to let you go..."

It's official that I've abandoned Revolutionary Road. I tried long and hard, but I just couldn't get through it. I couldn't get through a second round of misery, with more details, no less. I finally decided to pull out the fancy bookmark where I had left it a week before and placed it in another book.

Though I feel awful that in this blog's infancy I've already managed to abandon two books, sometimes you have to abandon the book that's stalling your reading list's progress. There's just no other way around it sometimes.

I mentioned in one of my posts that I had read D.H. Lawrence's Lady Chatterley's Lover and found it to be wonderful. As a result I decided to read another one of his books, and I settled on Women in Love.

I've already made it through two chapters of Women in Love, and although it starts off a little awkward by just diving into a scene between Gudrun and Ursula, the two heroines of the novel, I am really enjoying it. I especially can't wait for the story to develop further so that the sisters begin their relationships with the two men we've already been introduced to through Gudrun's and Ursula's eyes. It seems that there will be dramatic, romantic events that only Lawrence can create with raw beauty.

It's amazing to me how a man could write what and how a woman feels as well as Lawrence. Maybe it was just luck on Lawrence's part, or maybe it was knowledge that was passed down to him, or maybe he's just one of those people who understand what other people are feeling, whether he has walked a mile in their shoes or not; whatever is behind this enviable artistic ability, I feel that there is in me a little bit of every woman that Lawrence describes in his novels. It's almost eerie, but definitely refreshing.

On another note, and in honor of Read Across America day I wanted to spread the word that I am very much into keeping a virtual bookshelf to share my reading activity with anyone who's interested. So far, I've found two services to do this through. One is weRead, and although I've kept it for over a year now, and it's where you will find the most up-to-date information and reviews for a huge chunk of the books I've read throughout my life, I only know how to access it through Facebook. The other virtual bookshelf I keep is through goodreads.com, which I downloaded as an app for my iPod Touch.

I just started using goodreads the other day, so it's a little sparse at the moment, but I am going to try to at least copy and paste my reviews from weRead when I have time, so that both bookshelves are up-to-date. You can find me at Goodreads under the username Reemawi, in the meantime.

I guess that's it for now. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment